Sunday, January 1, 2012

Help Yourself to Jesus - Part II

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my visit to a church in which two lay people came in, walked up to the Tabernacle and removed consecrated hosts.  I was completely shocked by this, and also by the fact that the key was left in the Tabernacle, which leaves it wide open to anyone who may want to take hosts. 

Well, I was back at that church today.  As I reported previously, the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in a side altar.  There is an altar railing in front of that altar, so I took advantage of that to pray there.  As I was kneeling there, one of those same people from a couple of weeks ago came in, opened up the Tabernacle, took some hosts and proceeded to leave.  I stopped him on his way out and asked why the key was left in the Tabernacle.  His response was that I was talking to the wrong person, I needed to ask the priest.  He said he assumed so that everyone would not need their own key!  I wanted to ask why lay people were allowed to go into the Tabernacle, but instead said, there are black masses you know, and anyone can come in and take these hosts . He responded, "I know."

Is there doubt in anyone's mind that reverence for the Blessed Sacrament in the Catholic Church has reached an all time low?   I really wonder how many actually believe in the Real Presence.  I have seen polls that say as little as 30% of Catholics believe in the Real Presence.  I have to say I have grave doubts about whomever is the pastor of the Church I was at today.  Why does he leave this Tabernacle and the Blessed Sacrament completely exposed, with no protection whatsoever? Does he care so little of this greatest gift we have been given - the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread?

Lord Jesus, have mercy on us all. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Did you ever talk to the priest? ormaybe write to Cardinal Dolan and ask him..or something...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts  0